The organ was installed in 1900 by W. Walmsley of Len Valley Organ Works near Maidstone, having been purchased from St.John’s Deptford where it was originally installed c1856 by J.W.Walker & Sons. The apparent reason for selling it was that it was “worn out”. Well, it has been here for over 100 years, with an overhaul and cleaning in the 1970s when part of the ceiling collapsed on it during the re-roofing of the Church, and is still going strong! There are 11 stops to the Great, 9 to the Swell + tremulant, 2 to the Pedals and 3 couplers. The whole instrument has tracker [mechanical] action.
There are approximately 1,200 pipes. The original external pipes were painted in the traditional Victorian decorative style, but this has been removed to show the natural bare metal. There was originally a text over the arch “Worship The Lord In The Beauty Of Holiness”.